Old March 7th 05, 07:45 PM
Mike Kanze

Peter's calculations are a reminder that it is the weight that counts, not
the gallonage. And more specifically, how many BTUs/pound you can get from
your fuel choice (more = better, usually). This is why the world has never
seen a commercially-viable coal-fueled aircraft, old Aeroflot jokes
notwithstanding.

ISTR that 2,000 lbs. of JP-5 was the correct capacity for either the D-704
or the Sargeant Fletcher but it's been many years now...

--
Mike Kanze

"One phrase that no Member of Congress should ever use lightly is 'political
hack.' The ironic possibilities are too rich."

- Wall Street Journal (3/7/05)

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article ,
Guy Alcala writes:
I was just wondering if any buddy stores carried internal
fuel,or if all the internal space was taken up by the
drogue, hose and reel, pump, etc. I have conflicting
sources, so hopefully those here with personal experience
can give me the straight skinny. If you can mention the
particular model(s) you're familiar with (if you remember)
and its capacity (if any), that would help.

Guy,
According to the Station Loading charts in my F-4J NATOPS, the D-704
has an Empty Weight of 733#, and a Full Weight of 2773#. Sounds like
there's a shade over 2,000# of fuel in it.
For JP-5 that would work out to 300 U.S. Gallons.

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions