Old August 2nd 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wing Contour?

On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 1:12:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 12:50:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Just to clarify, the 1/4 inch ply is "rough cut" as closely as possible and the filler adheres to the wood and gives the smooth surface needed to re-profile? How far back above, and below the wing do you go for a glider you want to perform well?

Doug

You understood correctly.
First 10% or so. About 3 inches inboard and 2-1/2 outboard.
Purpose of the templates is to have finished wing with same profile it started with. "Normal" sanding will usually make the leading edge too blunt.
UH

I am interested in doing a resurfacing on a Libelle 201b. I have been loaned templates which appear to be well made, possibly water jet cut, about the size you describe. My wings, in the very leading edge portion are off(differently at different stations and on opposite wings) by as much as 1/4 to 5/16. I too have the spare bump. My plane thermals better to the left but shows no fall off in stall. I was expecting to sand and contour maybe 1/10 of an inch but what product is useful for 1/4 of and inch? I know, and have used Bondo to that depth on other things, but aircraft?
Thank you for the insight and expertise you have shown in the answers you have give.