Old July 28th 03, 12:32 AM
Peter Shurman

I certainly do. Just out of curiosity, what problems did show up in
your Arrow? Were they related to the complex systems (gear and prop),
or more general airframe and mechanical problems?

Problems were gear and engine related, not mechanical per se. Gear was slow,
decided not to drop one day on final...I did a go-around and cycled it --
finally got 3 greens. Replaced hydraulic pump. Engine ran hot, replaced 2
cracked cylinders in 2 years despite running ROP and 65% max...burned too
much oil so something was bound to happen. Sold it with cylinder work done
based on buyer's pre-purchase.

Two factual comments on your points....Leggat Aviation at YKZ is also
$60/hour; the gentleman, however, could save money flying out of a

smaller
field (as could I). But apparently, we both live here! Happy flying and
thanks for the back-and-forth.

That is good news about Leggat -- I know that they have an outstanding
reputation, and it's good to know that they're inexpensive (compared
to U.S. prices) as well.

I agree on the value of a nearby airport. I pay CAD 65/month to tie
down on the field at CYOW, and another CAD 30/month to the airport
authority for landing fees. I could save a bit of change by keeping
my plane way out at Carp, Arnprior, or Smith's Falls, or even across
town at Rockcliffe, but I appreciate the convenience of CYOW (an easy
12 km bike ride from my house), and like flying from a big airport
with customs and two ILS approaches. It's also fun watching a couple
of 767s holding short waiting for me to land.

Works for me. City Centre (Island) is $600/mo...YKZ just completed a heated
hangar...$900/mo. You can go crazy but best not to do so. Look me up at YKZ.
Nice chatting. /ps