Old July 6th 04, 07:04 PM
Defly

I fly to Canada a few times a year. Hamilton, (CYHM) is a good place to clear
customs. The CANPASS office is in Hamilton. There is customs on the field so
you don't have to wait like you do in Sarnia. Canada uses the standard ICAO
form which you can get online. The briefer will walk you through it, they're
used to US pilots not having it. I've never bought Canadian charts, only the
approach plates which you can get from Sporty's. I just use US low altitude
charts and never had a problem. People make a big deal about flying to Canada
- which it's not. I've gotten a few free breakfasts from local pilots here at
AZO while I explain the whole deal to them. Canadians are very used to US
pilots coming there and will patiently explain everything IF you don't act like
a hotshot US pilot making do with their quaint little system. You will get a
bill for ATC services during the quarter after you fly there. Can be a problem
if you're renting because the bill goes to the registered owner. Canadian
controllers don't say "radar contact" they say "radar identified" and they
don't say "one one eight point three" they say "one one eight decimal three" -
otherwise everything else is exactly the same. Helps to carry a passport. If
you land at an airport that doesn't have customs on the field you must stay at
your plane until they arrive. Call CANPASS from your cell phone when you get
on the ground (dial 1 first and then the number) and they'll tell you what to
do. I have once in a while had trouble contacting Canadian flight service for
briefings and filing, so I've called a US FSS and done it that way - the US 800
number doesn't work in Canada so have the area code and phone number of your
local FSS just in case. Have fun in Canada eh.