Old June 9th 05, 07:41 PM
Mike Kanze

Mike,

Doesn't this beg a question; will one sqdrn be deactivated *down the road*,
given both are going to be at Whidbey?

Maybe.

Right now I read this as an opportunity to consolidate support, training and
maintenance assets at one location (NUW) that should not substantially
degrade our ability to provide coverage. It also gives the Rock stronger,
continuing "raison d'être," especially with the EA-6B community now in the
twilight of its service. Remember too that the weight of current and future
ELINT-gathering opportunities appear concentrated more along the Pacific Rim
(China, N. Korea) than anywhere else in the world.

This second point is parallel to what was argued in the recent BRAC
recommendation to close Portsmouth Naval Shipyard versus Pearl Harbor NS,
Pearl being closer to the perceived "need."

I agree with ^^ that the Rock will be quite a culture warp from Spain. Put
away those bota bags and break out the poopy suits. Of course the Rock does
have its nicer points, like tax-free smokes, fireworks, and gaming on the
nearby tribal lands, plus to-die-for skiing and seafood-scarfing
opportunities.

Then there are those summer "fog-tans" that Rocksters have always
enjoyed...g

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it."

- Will Rogers

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
oups.com...

Marco P.J. Borst wrote:
VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

From Commander, Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Public
Affairs

ITALY (NNS) -- Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 2 will relocate
from
Rota, Spain, to Whidbey Island, Wash., effective Sept. 1.

Doesn't this beg a question; will one sqdrn be deactivated *down the
road*, given both are going to be at Whidbey?

MW