Old October 7th 04, 09:25 PM
John T

Arnold Sten wrote:
Within the next few weeks, the fall colors will be at their peaks here
in Pennsylvania. Since this is my first autumn with the PPL, I am
looking for some photographic tips from those of you have shot
pictures or videos from the air in past years. For instance, what
time of day is best for photgraphing color? What is the best altitude
AGL and why? Any tips would be appreciated.

Definitely listen to Ross (and other av-photographers).

My own amateur tips:

1. Early morning is best. The air seems clearer and the angle of the light
will provide better color and shadow contrasts. Turbulence is also
generally much lower (making for easier composition and less shaking).
2. Try to stay between 750-1500' AGL. As Ross mentioned, it really depends
on the lens you're using, but any higher and you start to lose detail.
3. Use an open window (if possible). Be sure to secure the camera or keep
it well inside the plane or 14CFR91.15 comes into play.
4. Try to avoid using much telephoto. Unless you're in glassy air and
straight & level, composing your shot and keeping camera shake from ruining
the shot is more difficult the more you zoom.
5. Avoid resting the camera or your camera hand on the airframe. You're
more likely to pick up vibration (camera shake) if you do.

I use a digital camera and have found that setting the focus to "manual" and
focusing to infinity works best and greatly reduces shutter lag.

Good luck...and don't forget to post 'em!

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer