Old July 23rd 03, 05:19 AM
BTIZ

a good reading and studying of tailwheel aircraft.. "The Complete Tailwheel
Pilot" comes to mind.. and then a good study of the gyroscopic effects of
the propeller on directional control as you raise or lower the tail.. also
the changing effect of the p-factor on the prop as the angle of attack of
the blades change relative to direction of travel.

Then.. taxi practice.. a nice thing out here in the desert are lake beds..
and most will have a road of some type across it.. a desert trail... line up
on the road.. don't touch.. and crabbing not allowed.. fly down the road
barely inches (about a foot) with the wing low technique for crosswind
control.. and altitude.. attitude control..

then.. another nice thing about lake beds.. you can always land into the
wind.. so.. do some landings.. and then change the direction to get some
crosswind effects.. and another nice thing about lake beds.. the "dirt"
gives.. like grass would.. but we don't have grass runways here to learn
on..

then it's back to the paved runways.. all types, full stall 3 pointers..
wheel landings.. cross winds.. after about 5 hrs and about 40 landings.. in
a Super Cub.. the instructor deemed me ready for solo in the Pawnee..

same process.. high speed taxi first... just raise and lower the tail...
then.. off you go..
for those that don't know.. a Pawnee is single seat..

for me it was refresher training.. I had last flown J-3s about 20yrs ago on
a grass field..

There is/was a school in Chandler AZ that had a 10hr tailwheel course with
Super Cubs and Huskies.. and a Pitts..

BT
"Jim CRQ" wrote in message
om...
Could someone give a brief outline of what is involved in getting a
tail wheel endorsement.

I'm interested in upgrading my skills and would like to know what type
of training is involved. I suspect its mostly landing and taxing.

Also how long did it take to master the tail wheel techniques.

Thanks

Jim