Old March 22nd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

Default Altimeter off

On Mar 22, 1:13 pm, "kevmor" wrote:
There's no adjustments on the encoder? I can set the altimeter on the
ground to the airport elevation, so I know it should be really close
to the correct altitude, but then ATC may see my altitude as being a
hundred feet off... The encoder never needs to be recalibrated? It
just sees what is at the static input?

On Mar 20, 2:16 pm, "Jim Macklin"

wrote:
Not legal, you'll screw it up. Even an A&P is not allowed
to "adjust" instruments internally. You should take it to a
certified repair shop if it won't pass a IFR check. The
encoder is factory set at 1013.2 mb/29.92 and there are no
field serviceable adjustments.

If the static systems is wrong, the altimeter system and
airspeed will also likely be wrong.

"kevmor" wrote in message

oups.com...
| How can you adjust an altimeter if the pressure isn't
correct in the
| window for the altitude? I started talking to my examiner
about it on
| the checkride and he said that a lot of people adjust it
themselves
| (not an avionics shop, etc), and he said you take the
front off (I
| think) and theres a screw to adjust it? The plane would
be used for
| VFR only...
|
| Is there an adjustment that can be made to the encoder as
well if it's
| off?

The encoder sends data as if it was always set to 2992. The ground
adjusts it for local altimeter setting.

Bill Hale