Old May 18th 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

Default Clueless news reporting

On Thursday, 18 May 2017 00:43:54 UTC-4, wrote:
http://www.kaaltv.com/news/more-than...-lea-/4483097/

It's good to get coverage, but wow. How can someone get this so wrong?

5Z

Framed on the wall of my study is the front page of the Minden paper (the den is in my Florida home so I can't reference the full name of the paper) with a report on a landout I made many years ago, headlined CANADIAN PILOT SURVIVES.

I framed it because, during the commotion of the visiting medivac helicopter, the volunteer fire department and the police, the reporters who accompanied photographers kept asking "So, what caused the crash?

They were not to be deterred from their quest for truth (alternative facts maybe?) by my reassurance that the aircraft was not broken and the pilot was not injured and details of what we call an 'outlanding'. "Yeah, but what caused the crash?"

I leant in closer, spoke softly, and acting reluctantly, allowed as how the research was now declassified, and that most often out landings are caused when there is "too little altitude when too close to the ground".

They quoted me perfectly!