Old February 19th 21, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default FLARM in USA?

Power Flarm is used in the USA, and people often shorten this to Flarm, but it is different than the Flarm used in the rest of the world.

ADS-B is useless in gaggles beyond telling you that there another glider in the gaggle. Power Flarm is useful in gaggles because it filters spurious proximity warnings.

ASB-out makes me visible to power pilots who're looking at their screens. I was once thermalling and overheard Flight Following warn a power pilot that I was on his 12 at same altitude, two mile. He continue to close, one mile. He finally said, 'I still don't see the glider, but I have him on ADS-B, diverting."