Old October 4th 05, 08:10 PM
Jay Honeck

True, you cannot legislate common sense, and Boyer really likes to muddy
the waters. Saying that people drive drunk, or drive or fly drunk too
does not change anything). Besides, I have seen boaters and auto drivers
being given sobriety checks when they were pulled over. How often does
that happen with pilots?

It's called a "ramp check", and the FAA does them at airports
regularly.

In my ten years of flying, I've seen one pilot being given a breath
test, and I've been ramp checked (although not "breath tested") myself.
Given how little GA flying actually occurs anymore, that's an
amazingly high percentage of flights being checked. (Or I'm just
lucky.)

In that same period of time I've NEVER seen a motorist being given a
breath test, even though I've driven exponentially more than I've
flown.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA