Old April 16th 16, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Default Flight review required?

RN, I agree, the CFIG under 61.31 is only endorsing a rated pilot to fly a glider as PIC in solo operations, not provide a flight review for that pilot to go fly his king air. But the FAA is telling us that an airplane qualified rated pilot must have a flight review in airplane before we can use 61.31 for his glider PIC solo operation toward a rating. The FAA is not trusting that with our endorsement under 61.31 we would have reviewed all current regulations, airspace requirements, and glider flight skills for his PIC glider only flights.

Burt, we hope that the SAA and Safety Foundation can quickly resolve this. I have a "student" under 61.31 that is now grounded based on the legal interpretation in that letter until he can get an airplane flight review. He has no medical and has not flown powered airplanes for 17 hrs. He was back into flying with his son's interest in learning to fly and both were quickly advancing toward dual check rides this spring.

BillT.