Old December 19th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Oudie 2's needed

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:41:44 -0800, tom.kerrie wrote:

The winner of the latest Australian Nationals in 18M and Open classes
uses XCsoar, just saying.

I used XCSoar from its Australian days until LK8000 came out. XCSoar was
good - I simply prefer the LK8000 screen display and that, it its a good
day and you complete your task, you won't have needed to do anything to
it during the flight: it zooms in progressively closer as you approach a
turnpoint and then zooms out to show the next leg as soon as you've got a
fix in the turn area. Its been a long time since I used XCSOar but IIRC
it has the same auto-zoom capability.

Can't comment about SYM or any of the others because I've never flown
with them.

Before I started using XCSoar I was using a Garmin GPS-2 connected to my
SDI C4 vario plus a paper map. The map showed where I must not go while
the GPS2 pointed at the next TP and showed cross-track distance and the C4
kept book on distance to run, arrival and safety heights. That worked
well, but XCSoar/LK8000 made life a lot easier.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org