Old April 28th 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

The typical slow self launch climbout speed arguably makes a self launch more hazardous than an aerotow or a winch launch until above 500ft, which takes a couple of minutes. The climb speed is lower than the typical approach speed, and the speed would drop fast, due to the nose up attitude, the flap use for climb, and the sudden windmill drag, which will try to increase the pitch-up for a mast design. I find it best to approach at Minden in my ventus 2cxM at a speed much higher than the climbout speed: I approach at 70kts in summer, due to the typical changeable, windy conditions, only slowing in the last 50ft.