Old May 15th 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ed

Default Simulators

On Sat, 15 May 2010 04:27:25 -0000, wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
vaughn writes:

One relevant sim test that I have been proposing for years is to simply do it
the other way around; go from the left seat to the sim! As an initial test of
any sim, simply have a real pilot (but one who does not fly sims) who is fully
qualified and current on the plane being simulated, sit down and attempt a
takeoff, pattern, and landing. If the "real" pilot can't do that simple task on
the first try, (as the pilot surely could in the real airplane) then the sim
fails .

Even a properly configured desktop simulator can often pass this test.

Only if previously briefed on things like which buttons to push if you
want to see out of the side window.

I recently had the opportunity to try an F-16 simulator at a Guard
base. The cockpit is entirely accurate and the view surrounds you to
the rear of the cockpit and accurately represents the surrounding
landscape. It is pretty spooky, and pretty touchy, but still lacks a
little of the real feel. You are, however about 15 miles behind the
damn thing from the moment you hit afterburner. I really enjoyed the
experience nevertheless.