Old May 16th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Simulators

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

A real airplane doesn't have a mouse to click.

So? A person would have to be quite impaired cognitively in order to be unable
to adapt between a mouse click and the turn of a knob or the flip of a switch.

A real airplane doesn't have a mouse to click or keyboard sequences to look
out the side windows.

So it isn't realistic.

Realism isn't a binary value. There are many degrees of realism. Every
simulation is realistic to some degree. No simulation is completely realistic
or unrealistic. The limits of realism can be a good thing or a bad thing,
depending on which aspects of realism are affected and the objectives of the
simulation.

If I turn my head full left in a real airplane I have a left hand view
directly in front of my face.

TrackIR moves the image on the monitor in front of you. To simulate reality,
TrackIR would have to physically move the monitor to my left to track my
head turning. TrackIR does not do that.

So?

So it is nowhere near a realistic simulation of flying a real airplane.

The above has nothting to do with field of view and field of view is very
important to VFR flying, especially in operations on and around an airport.

Not everyone chooses to fly VFR.

That comment has even less to do with the subject at hand than your previous
comment about field of view.

No, because seeing things to your side and to your side and below is a
big pain in the ass pushing buttons to change the view.

I don't find it so.

Of course not because you are playing a game, not flying a real airplane
with no clue how important side vision is in some phases of flight.

Not in MFSF and not anything else unless you have a 360 degree screen.

The twist axis on my control stick allows me to look directly behind the
aircraft if I feel so inclined. I only use this capability on rare occasions
because it's not very realistic.

Yet another comment that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

A lot of landmarks in real flying will be beside you.

If they are beside me, I look to the side.

After pushing some buttons to look to the side than pushing buttons again
to look ahead again.

I have a real airplane and already know how to fly.

MSFS is nothing like flying my airplane.

If you only use MSFS to buzz the Las Vegas strip, I can understand why you
might feel that way. But some people are serious about simulation.

I feel that way because MSFS controls, even the expensive ones, feel nothing
like a real airplane, MSFS does not taxi like a real airplane, none of the
physical forces feel like a real airplane, none of the panel controls work
like a real airplane, and having a monitor in front of me looks nothing
like the view in a real airplane.

The people that are truely serious about simulation, like the Air Force and
airlines, don't use MSFS.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.