Old November 1st 11, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Oudie and 302

Hi John,

Please see my notes below.

Paul Remde

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 8:03 pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:

The Oudie is supplied with a power/data cable that has an RJ45 connector,
and an RJ45 to DB-9 connector. The RJ45 to DB-9 connector can be
configured
to work with the 302. It is a simple and free solution. The Oudie's
power/data cable must be powered with 12V.

Another option is the Oudie-PS5a-1 cable. It can be powered with 5V from
the 302 and also pass 5V power to the Oudie. You can see details
hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/goddard.htm#Oudie-PS5a-1

Paul - How is the Oudie-PS5a-1 cable better than the supplied Naviter
cable in the box?

*** The Oudie's power/data cable must be powered with 12V. The
Oudie-PS5a-1 cable is powered with 5V from the 302. Once installed, there
are no functional differences that I'm aware of.

With the supplied Naviter cable you have this setup;

12VDC = 302 = Oudie supplied cable (serial) = Oudie
12VDC = same Oudie supplied cable (12VDC to 5VDC converter) = Oudie

With the Oudie-PS5a-1 cable you would have this setup;

12VDC = 302 = Oudie-PS5a-1 (serial + 5VDC) = Oudie

So the Oudie-PS5a-1 solution is cleaner/neater. Is it electrically
better? Better 12VDC to 5VDC conversion? Better RS-232 signal
converter?

*** Good questions. The only advantage is the simple and clean setup. It
eliminates the need to connect the Oudie's power/data cable to 12V. The
Oudie-PS5a-1 cable has been quite popular. I guess many people prefer the
simple and clean approach.

Thanks, John