Old September 1st 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

Default Too Old?

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:53:20 -0700 (PDT), Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

On Aug 31, 3:13*pm, Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

I'm still flying 70-80 hours a month at 72. I will keep on flying
until I bust a physical. Flying seems to keep me younger than my
contemporaries or is it my 2x week workouts in Aikido (2nd degree
black belt)? Perhaps its my 2 year old son?
Some people age quickly and some don't. I don't.

Best of luck to you, I am mid 50s and would hate to think that there
might be a mandatory retirement for a PPL.

We fly in a hostile GA environment and I can see an airport manager like
the moron at VGT taking any ball he can and attempt to run with it. If
he can claim experimentals unsafe, training unsafe, why not elderly age
unsafe?

The PPL exam is pretty much a joke which doesn't help as a defense.