Old February 10th 05, 05:12 AM
Dudley Henriques

Thanks much Pete. This training manual supposedly says that the 51 can't
hold a slip due to aileron or rudder issues that make it straighten out
if the pilot tries to hold it in a slip.
I've done hundreds of slips to both sides in this airplane and never had
such an issue. I'm assuming the training manual was written as an aid in
transitioning low time pilots into the high performance 51, as the dash
one specifically states that slips are not an issue.
The 51 does pay off fairly quickly on landing if you get it too deep
into the left side before touchdown and it can be a bit hairy. You
generally wouldn't hold a slip in the 51 under 200 agl for safety
reasons, and between the last flap position drag index and running the
prop up to low pitch, you really don't need slips in the 51, but I'm
really interested in researching the obvious conflict between the
training manual, the dash1, and my own personal experience in the
airplane along with every other 51 driver I have asked about this.
Thanks much for the help. I'll watch the thread for you.
Dudley
"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article et,
"Dudley Henriques" writes:
I'm researching something and can use some assistance if anyone has
the
expertise or the inclination to be of assistance with this.
Apparently there was a training manual put out during the forties on
the
P51 Mustang (not the airplane's dash 1 which totally contridicts this
manual) that said the 51 could NOT hold or maintain a slip.
I'm interested in any information on that manual, and/or the reasons
for
this statement.
I already know the Mustang can be slipped as I've slipped it many
times.
What I need is origin information on this exact training manual and
any
reasoning for the no slip ability statement being in that manual.
Thank you

Wait one, Dudley. Somewhere down here in the office I've got an F-51
Training Manual. I'll dig it out Tomorrow Morning, and let you know.

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions