Old February 16th 12, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default New Butterfly Vario

No, Sean, it's your thought process (and by the way, your grammar) that are
at fault. The point that you can't seem to understand is that there is a
chain of errors leading up to an accident. Break the chain and there's no
accident. I never said that the pilot in question intended to fly into the
cloud. I said that a series of bad decisions led him to that point.

Frankly, I don't care what instruments you have in your cockpit. Why can't
you simply accept that there's a rule in place and either abide by it,
attempt to change it by due process, or flaunt it (which you've already
stated that you will do).

Your hysteria is becoming tedious, so I'm going to bow out now. Flail away
at me; I won't respond to you on this thread again.

"Sean Fidler" wrote in message
Your thought process is the problem Dan. You are plain wrong about this.
Kempton did not intend to fly into the cloud. He looked at his panel a
second too long. Are you saying he is a schmuck? That he was cheating?
That he was trying to get an extra 200 feet for his OLC distance? That is
so ridiculous that I have a hard time restraining myself here...

The relevant facts are that this example (Kempton) is very much how contest
pilots fly (like it or not). This will happen again and again until one day
a pilot panics and dies. That is very poor decision making in my opinion.

1)People makes mistakes.
2)Pilots make mistakes.
3)Contest pilots make mistakes.
4)Gliders are dangerous enough.
5)People, pilots and contest pilots are honest sportsman in general.
6)If someone makes this mistake they might just die. It is a mistake that
we are concerned about. It does happen...read the article again.
7)We should allow any & all instruments which aid this situation WAY before
outlawing it because one idiot somewhere, someday might cheat. In fact,
cheating should not even be a consideration.
8)Safety should have ALL the weighting.
9)This rule in unenforced.
10)This rule is unenforceable.