Old August 4th 04, 10:03 AM
Michael

Default IGC Rejects Garmin GPS

Eric Greenwell wrote:
We're really talking about making it even easier than it ever was, not
"making it as easy as it used to be".

If you're standing still, you're falling behind. Even if you're
moving ahead slowly, you're probably falling behind. You may not like
that, but that's how it is.

EVERYTHING is easier than it used to be, mostly a lot easier. Soaring
is not the one and only thing in life (for most people), it's just
another form of recreation that has to compete for people and dollars
with other forms of recreation - which are mostly becoming
dramatically more customer-focused and hassle-free.

(Mark James Boyd) wrote:
I didn't say the IGC isn't making any progress, just that words
like "molasses" and "cold winter" come to mind.

Bingo.

I'm a fan and advocate for a hopefully new source of
soaring pilots: soaring consumers. They have choices,
and some choose golf if the soaring barriers to entry (including
barriers to entering contests) are too high...

There are barriers, and there are barriers. I think most people
accept the need and even desirability of barriers based on skill and
knowledge directly relevant to the sport. Nobody is suggesting that
someone who can't complete a silver distance flight should be in a
constest - any contest. On the other hand, barriers that are about
dealing with hassles and jumping through hoops are becoming less and
less acceptable. Some might call it paying dues, but most of us call
it crap.

I didn't choose golf when the barrier to entry became too high - but I
chose to largely abandon soaring in favor of powered flight. I know
many, many people who have done the same - and for the same reason.
They all love the actual soaring part of it - it's the hassles they
can't stand.

Michael