Old January 9th 18, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Debunking the Shock Cooling Myth

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 7:07:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Yep Charlies, that was I was explaining in my earlier post, hard slip= slow speed, large rate of decent and disrupted airflow into cowl hence keeps the cht up. Works liike a champ but half the guys out there flying have ever done a hard slip and even less use it on a regular basis.
Dan

The L-19 will slip hard enough to dump a lot of fuel overboard if the tanks are full. We don't consider this an operational advantage.

Still, in terms of angle off the direction of motion, it isn't that big an angle (guessing 20 degrees, rudder on the floor). Intuitively, I doubt that it is possible to significantly disrupt the intake airflow with a steady state slip. Someone bring the data, prove me wrong.

Evan Ludeman / T8