Old September 19th 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:14:23 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Coincidence, perhaps?

Cobra and Komet trailers have been carrying the horizontal stabilizer
attached to the underside of the top for as long as I can reall (the
mid-80s).Â* I've never seen the damage you described.

Mid 70s for me. Yeah, there must be thousands of trailers with the horizontal stab up against the top. I suspect UV was a big contributor. Early trailers didn't include a layer said to specifically block UV. The stab was often the first to go. The second area to craze was often the top of the fuselage behind the canopy: i.e., a big flattish area exposed to UV penetrating the trailer. Obviously other factors were at work (e.g., moisture, stress cracking of the brittle gel coat layer) since the underside of the wings also showed damage eventually.

Chip Bearden