Old September 25th 03, 08:05 AM
Fred E. Pate

I'm sure that in this case you are referring to the ICAO Cold
Temperature Error Table, which is part of the AIM. Check it out
online:
http://www1.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap7/aim0702.html#7-2-3

I don't know about you, but I have yet to meet a US flight instructor
who does not require his students to have a copy of the AIM and be
conversant with it.

Uh. That table only showed up a couple of years ago. I bet most flight
instructors have no idea its even there. Other than "hot to cold look
out below" there ain't much on temperature errors in the FAA private
pilot knowledge requirements. The reason that table finally showed up
is because pilots familiar with Canadian and USAF procedures have been
pushing the FAA to improve this area of pilot knowledge.

We are not REQUIRED to do anything about those tables.

If you're flying over mountains in Alaska on a cold night with an
alitimeter setting from sea level? You can tell that to the granite.