Old February 5th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air

Default How much can they take?

Dave S wrote:
Maxx. wrote:
Gentlemen, (& ladies):

As we started to touch down, we
suddenly went back up, and were diverted because the control tower
flooded, and blacked out.

Not to detract from your question, the Control Tower didn't flood during
Allison/2001. The Houston TRACON (Approach Control) is what flooded and
went off-line. Houston Approach is located in the basement of the OLD
control tower at IAH, west of Terminal A. It's truly a dungeon down there.

Their function was taken over by Houston Center, down the road, in a
sprawling above-ground facility, until the problem could be fixed
(again). One day, there is supposed to be a mega-approach placed in
operation near Conroe, that will allegedly combine Houston, Beaumont,
San Antonio and Austin all in one facility.

The new IAH control tower never flooded.

I question that you were touching down, because if you had wheels on the
ground, you were likely going around due to another object still on the
runway. If you were on approach, and had not touched down yet, then the
go-around due to a facility going offline is understandable.

Dave

I was sitting in a window seat at the time, just ahead of the right
engine. I saw the white lines of the runway before we went back up.
(it was actually that close to touching down.) Wheels never touched
the ground though. The flooding issue was announced by the pilot after
we had climbed enough (for his comfort, I guess) We then went to Lake
Charles, sat for awhile getting fuel, then flew to Austin, where we
were bussed back to IAH. That night, ORD to IAH = 20 hours & my
luggage was delivered four days later..

So what actually flooded? I don't know. I was busy watching the water
going into the engine, and thinking about my Chevy Cavalier running
through a puddle. cough, choke, oops