Old July 20th 05, 08:20 PM
ShawnD2112

David,
Depending on what you want to do, you may be thinking about this too hard.

How long do you want to be weightless? Zero G is accomplished by flying a
downward parabola, so it eats up altitude. Unless you're going to start at
10000 ft AGL, you're not going to have a great deal of time in zero G in any
case.

I do zero G maneuvers in a Taylorcraft all the time, for probably about 5-8
seconds at a time. Wouldn't bother hanging anything from the compass. Put
an object (logbook works fine) on the dashboard. Push over until it floats
up off the dashboard. Level off, climb back up, repeat. Great Fun!

Shawn

"David Findlay" wrote in message
I'm interested in learning to do a zero g manueveur as part of my
aerobatics
training. I get the idea that this would require certain characteristics
from the fuel system, i.e. the fuel still needs to flow into the engine in
zero g. Will a standard fuel pump system as provided in aerobatic aircraft
be capable of handling this? Liquids in zero g have a tendancy to form
spherical bubbles that just float around, although surface tension still
works.

As for method of doing it, I would expect the best method is the old NASA
method of hanging a small weight from the compass, if the weight goes down
push forward, if the weight goes up pull back. Anyone done it? Thanks,

David