Old February 3rd 07, 06:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
jc[_2_]

Default Need help with a rocket motor ID

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 18:38:32 +1030, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

I've just received a few pics of a small rocket motor, from a friend of
mine.

It's about 2Kg and about 45cm long with a 10cm wide nozzle. It's a
liquid fuel motor and doesn't look like it has any electrical connections.

We're all guessing it could be some form of reaction nozzle for (maybe) a
Gemini or Apollo capsule.

Can I buy a vowel please ?

Dave,
Not much of a vowel but here's the stuff I got from a bud
who's pretty heavy into rocketry (I am not). He didn't know
what it was, specifically, but here's a bit more info you
can add to the stew.

One other note, Q is correct about the "SN63(4??), which is
preceeded by what looks like a part #, which looks to me
like it may be " ?07705"
Cheers,
jc

"About all I can add to this discussion is that I'd agree
it's probably designed for hypergols since there's no
provision for ignition. Hypergols are binary propellants
that use 2 liquids that spontaneously combust on contact.
The only 2 I can name are furfuryl alcohol with hydrogen
peroxide and the WW2 German bstoff and cstoff. That was the
stuff used in the ME163 Comet rocket plane, I'm pretty sure
one of the stoffs was hydrazine. That's some nasty stuff, it
dissolves flesh. I've heard stories about accidental leaks
and human soup. Yuck!

Looking at the pictures a couple of other things strike me.
Obviously there's no gimbal on the nozzle so it's not a
manuvering jet. I'd guess either a seperation motor for a
really big stage or possibly some kind of retro-fire thing.
The other thing is the way the fluid lines wrap around the
can looks like preheat to me. That either means a fuel that
doesn't vaporize easily, like kerosene, or a cold soaked
environment. That goes along with the idea that it's
designed for vacuum.

Where did the guy get it? Looks like government surplus to
me. Hope my input helps."