Old November 10th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Nixon

Default How do most of you pilots set up a flight plan and what nav-aids doyou use.

1st of all my only piloting is with ,46-1.0cu inch internal combustion
piston engine powered radio control airplanes but in my recent quest
for some military knowledge I was treated decently here and directed
to the proper group by more than one of your members.

My question is; when you file a flight plan nowadays is it mostly
using a GPS box or do many of you still use VOR stations to
triangulate your course or ADF for that matter. I realize that not all
personal aviation planes are equipped with all the gear for IFR flight
but most probably do use some electronic aids for VFR flight as well.

Back in 1973 when I was on something called "project transition" with
only six months left in the USAF I worked part time at a small field
in Concord Calif in the SFBA. Anyway my job was to install and repair
VHF/VOR/landing localize radios, UHF glide-slope, transponders, ADF,
emergency UART locators, and just about anything else in private
aviation prior to the GPS era. I know a couple of guys who fly private
AC and one is a fireman that built his own kit plane power by a
standard Lycoming 4 cylinder boxer engine. The only nav-aids he has is
a GPS receiver-display and a required UART G force tripped box flying
out of now civilian Williams AFB. If he flew closer and or higher
toward Phoenix Sky Harbor airport he would be required to also have a
transponder so that the Sky Harbor GCA could track his airplane and
altitude and he'd have to tune his VHF radio to the GCA when in
commercial airspace.

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight. Is this the case or did I miss something obvious like a guy
sitting in the pilot seat with flight schooling and pilot's license +
his AC certified for flight by an FAA inspector?,-

Thanks, Bob Nixon Chandler, AZ