Old November 11th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Nixon

Default How do most of you pilots set up a flight plan and what nav-aidsdo you use.

On Nov 10, 5:09*pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Bob Nixon" *wrote:
My question is; when you file a flight plan nowadays is it mostly
using a GPS box or do many of you still use VOR stations to
triangulate your course or ADF for that matter. I realize that not all
personal aviation planes are equipped with all the gear for IFR flight
but most probably do use some electronic aids for VFR flight as well.

Pretty much GPS for everything, nowadays. *I may have VORs in the flight
plan, but I won't generally use the receivers in the airplane to navigate to
them unless I just feel like practicing. *Their days are numbered and ADFs
are already disappearing fast.

UART G force tripped box

What the heck is that?

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight.

As Mike Nash said, you don't need any of those things if you stay out of
certain kinds of airspace.

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

The UART that I used to install back in 73 was a yellow colored snap-
on or Velcro battery powered emergency location crash transmitter box.
If the plan went down in the peaks of a mountain it could be located
several hundred miles away. I had though it would have been manditory
by now but apparently not I was California so maybe it was a local
requirment or not at all.

Thanks for responding folks

Bob Nixon..