Old November 11th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Nixon

Default How do most of you pilots set up a flight plan and what nav-aidsdo you use.

On Nov 10, 2:21*pm, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,
*Bob Nixon wrote:

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight. Is this the case or did I miss something obvious like a guy
sitting in the pilot seat with flight schooling and pilot's license +
his AC certified for flight by an FAA inspector?,-

Actually, if you stay away from big airports, you don't need any of
those items. Radio is optional, GPS is definitely optional, I don't even
know what a UART is, and a transponder is optional. The radio and
transponder can become mandatory if you go into airspace that requires
it, but there's plenty that doesn't.

No comment on your flight plan questions, because as a glider pilot my
"flight plans" tend to be considerably different and more informal than
the usual kind.

My ex-brother in law took me up for a glider towed ride near Fremont
Ca. mission peak (known to have good thermals) and the experience
seemed very natural with less fear than a small powered airplane.BYW,
dad's company in the 50's in Omaha before we moved to the SFBA owned a
plane and as a kid I frew in in many times. I think it was a Cessna
150 or similar.

Bob Nixon..