Old May 3rd 04, 04:10 PM
Peter Duniho

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
Any general tips on night flying?
Haven't flown at night in over a year, and I need to go up tonight and
get current, and do a cross country.

Read up on the various optical illusions that occur more easily at night.

Remember that night navigation is much more dependent on radio navigation;
you need a LOT of familiarity with the route of flight *and* have excellent
lighted landmarks to navigate without radios. A full moon (like we have
now) helps, if there's no cloud cover, but the radios are still important.

Likewise, there may be phases of your flight where the outside references
are not visible, and you will have to rely on the instruments to keep the
airplane right side up. Just after takeoff is a common point in time, with
the nose high, to not have much in the way of visible outside references.

Remember that your first (and maybe only) indication of obstructions to
flight, terrain or clouds or otherwise, may be that lights on the ground
become obscured. The occasional twinkle in a remote area is probably just
trees near the light blocking the light, but if large swaths of lights
become obscured at once, there's probably a hill or cloud between you and
the lights. If you are flying toward the lights that disappeared, this is a
problem.

Fly the VASI.

Pete