Old December 28th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Default 2008 Proposed US Competition Rules Changes

2 more cents to add he

Contest directors are generally very aware of the diffuculty and
dangers of task changes in midair, so they only do it when the need
for a task change outweighs the difficulty of doing it in midair.
Good CDs often take steps to minimize in-iar programming; they call
A,B,C tasks; they limit task changes to easy things to do like adding/
deleting a turnpoint rather than starting over, and they hate to
change task type e.g. MAT to TAT. I don't think we need rules unless
CD judgement were failing here, which isn't the case.

On software, realize that most of the software out there is not
designed with in-air task changes in mind, since this freedom is a US
particularity. The ease of in-air task change varies a lot. One
program I tried crashed the PDA and the 302, needing an in-air power
off restart of both, 10 minutes before start opened. Not fun.

John Cochrane