Old December 21st 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Intersting tidbit about the Miami seaplane crash and fuel reserves

Bimini is approximately 50 nm from Miami. Havana is considerably farther
away.

Best regards,

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft Musketeer

xyzzy wrote:

from: http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/19/miami.crash.ap/

"One of its airplanes was hijacked to Cuba in 1974. Since then, the
company has had a policy of not carrying enough fuel to reach Havana."

Now Havana is not that far from Miami. I have a hard time believing
they would be within legal IFR (or even VFR) reserves if they really
take off without enough fuel to reach Havana. I wonder if they were
just saying that to discourage hijackers?