Old March 8th 15, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default 300lb (130kg) pilot

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 3:47:43 PM UTC+13, wrote:
Correct if I'm wrong folks, but assuming C&G is within limits and assuming I can reasonably fit in the bird, soloing in a two seater shouldn't be an issue as they'd likely have a minimum usefull load of at least 300lb.

Yes. You'd be within all placarded limits except the seatbelt one. Which, really, is up to you if it's your own glider. The only situation in which is going to matter is if you crash so violently that you're probably going to have much bigger problems anyway.

Presuming I'm correct, I have two additional questions.

1) What's the likelihood of getting a dual sailplane within C&G limits, me being the sole occupant (300lb !) ?

On the two seat gliders I fly (DG1000), the rear seat pilot contributes 40% as much moment arm as the front seat pilot.

So if you don't have a 110 kg person in the back seat then that's 44 kg extra you can put in the front seat while staying at the same C of G.

2) Suggestions of sailplanes with roomy cockpits (single or dual) , minimum +5/-3 G (I find it reassuring), atleast 300lb of useful load, and preferably widely available. I'm curious enough to check all the birds that could possibly accomodate me within various price ranges. Budget is 20 or so though.

I don't know what you'd get for $20k. There *might* be Grob Twin Astir around for that price by now. Though twins keep their value as they are cash cows for clubs/commercial operators. We sold two of them, both made in 1978, about 8 years ago (when we got the two new DG1000s) for $40k and $45k.