Old November 19th 04, 10:59 PM
Jay Somerset

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:01:57 -0700, Newps wrote:

kage wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

kage wrote:

On any standard light aircraft wing, all best climbs (rate of climb Vy,
and angle of climb Vx) are achieved with a clean wing. Adding flaps
causes the climb angle and rate to decrease.

Not on my 182. The manual says, and I quote...

Using 20 degree wing flaps reduces the ground run and total distance over
the obstacle by approx 20 percent.

Yes over an obstacle.

Well that's what were talking about...what gets me the highest in the
air in the shortest distance over the ground. My owners manual says I
get to 50 feet in 20% less distance than no flaps. Can't be more
clearer than that.

But that is a compromise.

No, it's not. I want to be the highest in the air as possible over the
shortest total ground distance. That will be with flaps 20.

Just can't resist jumping in here. Your climb gradient with flaps will be
lower than with zero flaps. The only reason that you do better over a 50 ft
obstacle is that your ground run is shortened so much (in a 182) that it
more than makes up for the shallower climb to 50 AGL. Most 172's, for
example, are better without flaps, even over a (standard) 50 ft obstacle
(per their POH's).