Old March 25th 04, 02:16 AM
SeeAndAvoid

I have the latest MS FS2004 and I hook up with AnywhereMap on my Ipaq and
it's great practice. The Ipaq (HP 5555) sits in it's cradle next to my PC,
I fire up FS and it's pretty close to the real thing on AnywhereMap.
Since AWM has a PC flight planner, I can make up a flight plan, send it to
the Ipaq, start AWM on the Ipaq, select the flightplan and it'll display on
the Ipaq as I fly it on FS. FS sends altitude info so my 'cones of safety'
are displayed on AWM, get an idea of where I could glide to, maybe simulate
an emergency to see if my glide data is correct (pulled from the flight
manual).

There's lots of plusses to doing this: get even more proficient at using
AWM - there are a few menus and lots of choices, airport recognition based
on FS's graphics, AWM's terrain and obstruction alerts - FS usually has
those same towers and things like nuke reactors where AWM says they'll be,
flying around Class B's, seeing if the route I made up is really feasible,
on and on.
One of AWM's newer features is you can make up a virtual ILS for any runway,
so that's been fun to practice playing with that feature, I can set it up
pretty quickly now. Anyway, it's cool.
Chris