Old March 18th 04, 06:05 PM
Jan Carlsson

Sebastian,

With data on both engine and speed it is easy to calculate an propeller.

I sugest you make a wood propeller first, then you can see how much prop you
need, The Idea is to "load" the engine so you get the desired RPM, with the
most optimum prop you can get at the design "point" (speed)
Even if it is calculated correctly there can be unknown factors, like if the
engine turn out 2 HP more or less!?
Then it is easy quick and cheep to make a new wood propeller

The blade have to be twisted, you have to know the differens of Pitch and
Angle, an prop with uniform pitch along the blade have the blade twisted to
higher angle closer to the hub. Even with reduced pitch near the hub, the
angle is normaly higher there.

With the Prop behind the back(pack) It will work in turbulant air, specially
near the hub it will be "dead" air, closer to the tip it will work in the
"aircrafts" forward speed + the induced air (air sucked in)
The Induced airspeed will be large compered to forward speed.

What is the normal Climb speed, Cruise speed and top speed for a paramotor?

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

"sebastian" skrev i meddelandet
om...
then youre saying the best way to answer the questions
is...empirically.
or can i make decisions a priori about prop geometry based on my input
power (15hp) and rpm (2500)? it would seem that long non twisting,
tapered, symetric airfoil blades that are ground adjustable in pitch
and varied in the nr of blades on the hub would be the better way
since the the variables of pitch, diameter(shortening), & nr of blades
could be experimented with and optimized. I suppose under these
circumstances all effort should be put into aspect ratio since that is
the one varibale that would be most difficult to vary and test. so
with that said, any advice on choosing an aspect ratio for my purpose?
and as a i vary these parameters...how do i measure changes in thrust
directly...attach my motor to a scale somehow?

"Jan Carlsson" wrote in message

A constant pitch will be better then a constant angle and blade width.

The Q is what Pitch, what Diameter, what Aspect Ratio, what nr of

blades?

The questions is the same whatever it is a one meter model plane, back

pak
or a turbo-prop.

Jan Carlsson

"sebastian" skrev i meddelandet
om...
ah well, that was exactly the type of feeback i was looking for
thanks.

My revised plan is to experiment with building a carbon fiber
propeller. I like the general design theory behind the wind turbine
that i specified, so I am thinking of inverting the pitch for thrust
and making the blade shorter and broader (45-50" diameter, 2-4" wide
tapering to tip). My plan is to make foam airfoil cores with a
hotwire cutter, extensively reinforce the lengthwise direction with
unidirectional carbon fiber roving, and wrap the whole blade with
carbon fiber farbric and vacuum bag. I would use a similar twisting
geometry that narrows and goes from ~20 degrees to nearly a flat pitch
at the tip and transforms from an elipitcal cross section at the hub
to an airfoil at the tip. or would it be better and simpler to have a
constant pitch, width, and airfoil and make the overall pitch ground
adjustable. Rememeber i need it to be as light and efficent as
possible this is for a paraglider fan (backpack type) not some big
beefy airplane. Any suggestions?