Old December 20th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

Default Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 12/19/2007 7:56:55 PM, wrote:

Cars typically use 5W30. I used to use 0W30 in my Ford
pickup. Started OK at -35°C. Airplane engines can't use such thin
stuff.

Thanks, Dan, for the education. Unlike some of the hotshot pilots in this
group who apparently were born with this knowledge, I admit to still
having a
lot to learn despite flying twice to three times every week.

FWIW - http://www.reiffpreheat.com/tbo.htm

And some magazine articles at
http://www.reiffpreheat.com/product.htm#Why_preheat

And a blog article about engine moisture after shutdown (and follow-up) at
http://www.reiffpreheat.com/product.htm#Why_preheat (2nd and 3rd down)

As always...YMMV.
--
Matt Barrow