Old February 2nd 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

Default Short Wings Gliders

At 15:27 01 February 2009, Papa3 wrote:

So, I do believe a lot of it comes back to land. Specifically, the
fact that land use policy (or lack thereof) in the US means that a
flat piece of land within say 90 minutes drive of most major
metropolitan areas is going to run into the several $milions. For
instance, a 30 acre property in a place equidistant from say NYC and
Philadelphia would set you back about $1M minimum...

Do you happen to know how taxes affect US clubs that own their own fields?
I suppose it varies from state to state, but some of these clubs have
pretty valuable pieces of land. Being set up as a non-profit organization
might help some, but I don't know if it would exempt the group from
taxes.

On the other hand, the way to save money is to be a church. Any club that
could set itself up as a religion would have it made. Maybe the Reverend
Charlie Spratt (or should I say Father Charlie?) would be interested in
consecrating a few bishops around the country to establish branches of the
Church of the Rising Air. Yeah, that's the way to go. It worked great
for L. Ron Hubbard.

Jim Beckman (Rev.-to-be)