Old August 1st 03, 05:25 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Marty Ross" wrote in message
news

I thought that "VFR On Top" requires all of the same reports as regular
IFR (include altitude changes). Perhaps this is only for non-radar
environments?

I thought the ONLY time you didn't have to advise ATC of change in
altitude on an IFR clearance was when flying within an assigned vertical
block on a "cruise clearance".

VFR-on-Top changes nothing with regard to reports to ATC.

Also, as if to add to the confusion, it appears to me that the term "IFR
Over The Top" is used by the FAR instead of "VFR On Top" (see FAR Part
1.1: "definitions"). I only find reference to "VFR On Top" in the AIM

(5-5-5).
Perhaps that's why it takes some controllers an extra second to catch

on...

FAR 91.179(a) uses the term "VFR conditions on-top".