Old July 28th 15, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear handle design

One technique I use to facilitate raising the gear is to simply generate zero G's while pulling on the gear handle. It doesn't take much of a "pushover" to make the gear weightless - it practically retracts itself. Less stress on all the mechanical parts too. You could use the same technique to help with the last 2 inches after lowering the gear... pull the gear out of detent and let it fall down at 1G (level flight). Once down, generate just enough extra positive G's to help get the gear past over-center and in place. Gravity can be your friend. Ok, maybe not.

That being said, I still like that gear handle. Great design.

-Dirk