Old July 26th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dale

Default FSDO followups on equipment probkems reported to ATC?

In article ,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this policy? I'd love to see some of the gaps
filled in.

Back about '93 I had the oil pressure flucuate on my 182. I was pretty
sure it wasn't a big deal but as I came into Merril Field (pretty much
in the middle of Anchorage) I explained the problem to the tower and
asked to stay high until I was over the field. He asked if I wanted to
declare an emergency or if I wanted equipment standing by both of which
I refused. Landed without incident. A week or so later a guy from FSDO
called up and wanted to know about "my landing due to no oil pressure".
I explained that my destination was MRI and that it had only flucuated.
He requested that I stop by the FSDO with the aircraft logs and my logs.
I called AOPA and was told that there was a "crack down" in Alaska at
the time due to "unauthorized owner maintenance". I took my logs in and
the only thing he looked for was my BFR and the a/c annual.

The tower had obviously reported the incident to FSDO.

Early in 2001 I cancelled an IFR flight and flightplan due to the
attitude indicator failing just after takeoff. I was talking to
approach at the time and told them the reason for the cancellation. I
never heard anything further about it.