Old May 5th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Com Antenna

Tony Condon wrote:
I'm about ready to go shopping for the Cherokee. I've got a brand new
Microair 760 radio for the panel and I'd like to complement that with a
new antenna. There is plenty of room in the tail to mount a normal
airplane style com antenna. what are other people using? What would I
need to use for a ground plane? Piece of aluminum same radius as the
antenna length?

Most non-metallic gliders use a dipole antenna. Look for that type, as
they are a lot easier to mount than one with a ground plane.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org