Old March 9th 04, 03:04 AM
Chip Jones

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Teacherjh" wrote in message

On that frequency. Controllers often work many frequencies,
and do things besides talk on the radio.

When controllers are working many frequencies they typically broadcast

on
all of them simultaneously. You won't hear other aircraft, but you will
hear the controller.

Is this true for all positions? I think our local controllers (sleepy
old ELM) sometimes work tower and ground at the same time and you don't
hear the ground communications on tower and vice versa.

I don't know about in a tower cab, but when positions (ie-sectors) are
combined within radar facilities, the frequencies (transmitters and
receivers) are routed to whatever position gets the airspace. Thus, the
controller can hear on all freq's assigned to his airspace, and only has to
key his own mic to transmit. His transmissions are broadcast on all
frequencies he is working even though other stations can only hear the voice
traffic on their discrete freq. And I'm sure there could be non VSCS
exceptions in the wide open spaces of ARTCC's like ZAN, ZLC, ZDV, but surely
not in a tiny little piece of airspace that is a Tracon like Phoenix. (not
saying they ain't busy, just that Tracons don't usually cover much
territory....)

Chip, ZTL