Old June 25th 05, 11:21 AM

"G. Sylvester" wrote:

Bob Gardner wrote:
Conventional wisdom, according to every controller I have ever discussed
this with, is to forget about the regs, fly to the destination as planned
and shoot an approach. Their reasoning is that once you are identified as
NORDO, either by transponder or by failing to communicate, they will
sterilize the airspace around the destination until you are on the ground.
They do not want to keep other planes hanging while you comply with the
regs
You will not find this in writing in any official pub.

Interesting. I just took my IA checkride and of course they asked
about NRODO rules. The DE said "what would *you* do?" I told
him.

"The regs say .... but after reading a heck of a lot, apparently
controllers expect you to shoot you choice of IAP as soon as
possible as not to tie up air space." He said "perfect." I
specifically ask him about holding until your planned arrival
time and his reponse was that it was nonsense and the FAR's have
not been updated to follow the controller's bible.

Can a controller confirm this?

Gerald

The regulation is painfully obsolete. Nonetheless, it is the regulation. ATC
does not write or interpret regulations, at least not for pilots.

If you are in a low-traffic, especially non-radar area, you should follow 91.185
exactly, if you can. If you are in a robust, busy radar terminal area, best to
use emergency authority and keep on trucking similar to what controllers suggest
for those locations. After the fact, you don't cite ad hoc controller advice as
your reason for deviating from 91.185, rather you cite the inconsistency of that
regulation with NORDO operations in busy terminal airspace, and thus a
reasonable excerise of pilot emergency authority.

Having said that, how often is a light aircraft going to still have nav radios
and no comm capability?