Old April 18th 21, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 5:03:57 AM UTC-6, David Shelton wrote:
It is worth noting that paragliding is on the rise in the USA, and it is attracting a younger crowd. At the very least, we should be marketing more to this group. Sometimes I wonder if paragliding is the future of our sport, and not the $150k motor glider.

I am not a risk averse person and believe that persons have the right to participate in activities that enrich their life experience, but I think informed decisions do factor into choices. Currently, paragliding web sites are preaching 'It's safer than driving' because there's a 1/10,000 chance of dying in a car and 1/11,000 chance of dying while paragliding. Since the FAA doesn't track Part103 flight statistics, we're left to 'industry' thinking, I suppose as if death were the only factor. I think if they bothered to discuss the number of broken backs, broken limbs, concussions, and other injuries, it might paint a different picture. Believe me, I don't want more government oversight either. Here in Colorado, the state government has pending legislature to require the ski industry to provide explicit information on injuries and deaths, which is oppose in some quarters. The winter sports realm already divides up the accidents and incidents. For example, if you back country ski and perish in an avalanche, that's not a skiing fatality, that's an avalanche fatality. I haven't skiied in a long time and when I did, people didn't wear helmets. Same applies to snowmobiling. Kind of skews the safety statistics I think. Because I'm involved and interested in the sport of soaring, I've had Google Alerts enabled in my g-mail account for several years to filter for news by gliding, soaring, sailplane, glider, and a few others. Of course, sugar gliders, base units in the commercial truck industry, porch swings, Fortnite, and others get tagged, but it works pretty well. Though I don't look for paragliding or hang-gliding, I still get plenty of alerts about those activities, many times the number of soaring related alerts. Maybe I should try the other filters because maybe some media channels actually do accurately report on paragliding. Several soaring pilots I know came to the sport from hang-gliding, including RAS posters. Many have proved to be excellent sailplane pilots. A few years ago I recall 5 of the top 10 US OLC pilots for a year were these pilots. I don't know if the any of the other five had HG experience in the past. In addition, quite a few local glider pilots have the same background. I haven't surveyed anything, but I only known of one who arrived from paragliding and he took up soaring after breaking a number of bones in a severe paragliding mishap. A lot of young people go rock climbing also. I personally find rocks very unforgiving even for minor errors and if on hits you from above. I've known about three rock climbers personally, one remained unscathed and major in avalanche studies, another came home one evening with a big scrap and goose egg on his forehead and no skin on his knuckles (he moved on to HG , set at least one world record, and hosts a well-known HG web site, http://ozreport.com/), and one had a large 300lb boulder peeled her from the rocks in a 30ft rope drop and ended up losing motion in a smashed finger, suffered a concussion and had an ankle injury. She was lucky to have survived and it had nothing to do with her skill and ability. I hope a number of these young people will both survive and find their way to soaring and many HG pilots have done.
FWIW, Dr. Dan shared this on his FB page recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7sjJi6zJ4