Old April 9th 20, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

Magnus wrote on 4/8/2020 7:11 AM:
Hi experienced glider pilots,

I am a newly retired ex glider pilot that is updating my license and want to do some serious soaring and distance flights in Europe now that I have plenty of time. I live in Lausanne (member of Montricher gliding club) and as well member in Landskrona gliding club in Sweden as well where I spend most of my summers.
I have come down to the following alternatives for a private purchase:

- LAK 17C Front Electric Self starter, 18m, 22kW, 10.32 m2 wing surface, MTOW 600kg and CS-22 certification

- GP-15 Jetta, retractable motor, 15m, 25kW, 7.78 m2 wing surface, MTOW 470kg, UL/EcoLight certification

Both ships are flapped, take water ballast, Vne= 275km/h, wing loading between 37 - 57kg/m2, L/D around 50 and has a base price of apps. 100kEuro

GP15 seems to be a more modern glider with safety cockpit, ballistic rescue system and steerable tail wheel but LAK seems to be a more stable company with longer experience.

This is a nice problem to have but I would very much like your input as I have a one time opportunity to get my dream machine and I want to get it right.

Where do you find the information about the LAK 17C? I can not find any, not even
on the LAK site.

My dream is for a smaller, lighter, simpler self-launcher, but with the same
performance as my ASH26E. I considered the miniLak, AS34, and the GP15. The
miniLak did not have enough wing loading, L/D, and powered range for the
Nevada/Utah area I often fly in, and the AS34 was just as big and heavy as the
ASH26E. So, I have ordered a GP15 for delivery next year, as it promises the best
compromise. It will be a few months, maybe longer, before we know if it begins to
fulfill it's promise.