Old April 9th 20, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 12:31:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 7:57:10 AM UTC+1, kinsell wrote:
On 4/9/20 12:05 AM, wrote:

To quote Dave Nadler, "How hard could it be?"

Love the quote. Actually, this would be right up my alley. I've developed a few aircraft from scratch and people pay me a lot of money to modify special mission airplanes. A multi-motor self-launcher would be pretty easy to do as a modification to an existing self-launcher; probably a 3 month project. Perhaps I'll get around to this eventually, but first I have some more pressing items on my wish list!

Wow. The GP folks are about four years late in delivering product and
you can do all this in three months!! Go for it!!!

Actually the Alice electric plane has much of the redundancy that you're
asking for. Three motors with dual inverters on each of them, a highly
segmented battery configuration that can be reconfigured almost
infinitely. At least on paper it has those things, they burned up their
prototype before getting to taxi tests.

If we're diving into pipedreams seeking maximum redundancy, what if there's a shared software bug between the parallel systems, like the firmware bug triggered by date that affected many GPS's simultaneously.
It'd be safer to combine two completely different systems for maximum redundancy, like Igor's MiniLAK FES-Jet (
https://imgur.com/a/Y6uK4fP)
Plus you get the benefit of both propeller for climb and jet for cruise.

Wow, that's a very cool concept. I wonder about the reliability and starting time of the jet.