Old January 30th 04, 04:15 AM
Geir Raudsandmoen

At 03:18 30 January 2004, Jj Sinclair wrote:
Mark,
I have owned over 40 sailplanes and flown over 50 types
while logging 4110 hrs
in sailplanes. I have never entered an unintentional
spin and 'get this' I have
never even had a full unintentional stall in any sailplane.
Once turning final
for a rocky, up hill, landing, I got pre-stall buffet
in my H-301 libelle,
eased off a bit on the back stick and landed OK. On
another occasion I was
stretching the glide to a duster strip in the Sierras
(Sunrise) and arrived
there with 500 feet, flew an abbreviated down wind,
lowered the flaps, lowered
the gear, cracked the spoilers and turned left, all
from about 45 knots. The
LS-6 just shook its head and said, 'I don't think so'.
Shoved the stick forward
and landed OK. I think its all about feeling the ship.
Most pilots have the
feel of what's going on, a few don't and they never
will.
I believe we should be doing spin entry followed by
emmediate recovery, just in
case, but a well flown sailplane won't be in need of
any spin recovery.
JJ Sinclair

But a sailplane ain't always flown well.
Nobody is perfect, not even you.

Geir