Old January 30th 04, 02:31 PM
nafod40

Bob Kuykendall wrote:

I've watched an ASW-20, flown by a well-respected pilot,
flick into a spin while thermalling. Including the
recovery, it went about a turn and a half.

I haven't spun gliders, but I have hundreds of hours spinning Navy jets.
In the larger planes, there was a period of post stall gyration (PSG)
before entering a spin proper, with a spin defined as steady state yaw
rate, pitch attitude, and AOA (or not too big oscillations about a
state). PSG could last a fair number of turns.

So was the ASW-20 really in a spin? Steady state?